The Old Springlake Amusement Park

postcard of the Springlake Park

The Metro Technology Centers Springlake Campus is located at the site of what used to be an Oklahoma City landmark - Springlake Amusement Park. This historic fun park was opened in 1922 and for more than 60 years generations of Oklahomans looked to Springlake as the ideal spot for entertainment, dancing and breathtaking rides, such as the legendary "Big Dipper" roller coaster.


 

Photo of Springlake from the air, 1928 The amusement park was plagued with numerous fires over its many years of operation. In 1981, after yet another devastating fire, Springlake Amusement Park was closed. But, one bright note still remains in the final chapter of Springlake's history. The passing of the old park has made it possible for future generations to build the skills that will bring more lasting happiness and security than all the cotton candy, thrilling rides and concerts the world could hope to hold.


 

Interesting Information About the Springlake Amusement Park

Much of the information in the following pages comes from personal accounts and private photograph collections. Many of the details of the park and its operation are still a mystery to us. If you have photos or Information about the park that you would like to contribute to this collection please contact us.

 

Photos Archives

 

Did You Know..?

  • The Big Dipper roller coaster was built in 1929 by the Toboggan Company in Lansdale, Pennsylvania.
  • Two ballrooms once existed at the park, one of which was called the Fairlyland Ballroom. This ballroom, which was later known as the Casino Ballroom, became the penny arcade in 1940. It could hold as many as 2,000 patrons at one time.
  • In the 1950's, a new amphitheater was added to Springlake. The Beach Boys, Roy Acuff, Johnny Cash, the New Christy Minstrels, Minnie Pearl, The Righteous Brothers, and Conway Twitty were among the many big stars to have played at the amphitheater. It has even been said that Elvis performed there as well.
  • On June 28, 1982, Vo-Tech District #22 purchased the 95-acre park for $1.1 million.
  • On May 11, 1983, the demolition of the defunct park began. The sky ride was sold to Lincoln Park and the train was boxed up and shipped to Lima Peru. Some of the steel in the fun house and in the bumper car buildings was given to a church to construct a new building. All the original light poles were saved and still exist on the campus today. The Big Dipper, was dismantled for the lumber by a couple of men who lived near Hot Springs Ark. These men were very nearly killed when the big hill collapsed on them as they were removing timbers. They survived by taking shelter in the shed immediately under the hill which housed the electric motor and chain drive.
  • The two lakes on the property were drained in 1985 and after some reconstruction, were stocked by the the state with bass, catfish and bluegill. Because the southwest end of the sky ride base near the lake edge was so big and costly to remove, waterfalls were designed and built to cover the protruding base.